Metal Detector for Coins
The art of metal searching takes many forms, and one of the most popular is the search for coins. Choosing the best equipment for coin-specific searches can be daunting in the larger metal detector market.
Retailers feature dozens of devices from various companies including Minelab, Garrett, White’s, AKA, and others. Let us help you navigate the world of metal detectors and search equipment as you search for the perfect choice.
But, which is best to buy for your coin search aspirations?
White’s Spectra V3i HP Metal Detector
Rated 4.7 out of 5 by 20 reviewers on Amazon.com
Initially, the manufacturer called this series Whites Vision, but when it went on sale, it was changed to Whites Spectra, a line to which the V3i metal detector belongs.
The Whites Spectra V3i steel metal detectors was Whites answer to the DFX. It has a similar menu structure management and search program. The newest model included several frequencies (2.5 kHz, 7.5 kHz, 22.5 kHz), Hi-Tech and TX Boost functions.
The changes affected discrimination and pinpoint mode.
- Mixed stereo mode (all metals in one channel, discrimination in the other)
- Multi-language interface
- New target identification system – a vector screen in polar coordinates (graph is plotted for each frequency)
- Coil menu specifications improve the accuracy of measuring the depth of the object
- Intelligence scan with scrolling graph shows the change in soil mineralization
- Context help system gives a hint on the functions of the device
- Soil selection (normal, salty)
- Displays current mode icon – Search, Analysis or Targeting
Embody the latest advances in treasure hunting:
- 3-frequency technology with simultaneous display of data for each frequency – a graphical analyzer, SpectraGraph functions, as well as during target designation
- Color display with the ability to customize the color palette and high contrast when working on the beach
- SpectraSound wireless headphones, designed specifically for the Spectra V3, provide an unprecedented user experience. The sound can come to one or more headphones. It is possible to change the channel to protect against interference
- 10 search programs created by White’s experts: Coins, Coins and Jewelry, Salty Beach, Relics, Geological Exploration, Deep Silver, High Debris, Professional (Hi-Pro), Mixed Pro Mode, Meteorites
- Maximum performance and accuracy of target determination are achieved using 3 frequencies: 22.5 kHz for gold, 2.5 kHz for silver, and 7.5 kHz for common tasks. Choose to work with one frequency or three at a time.
- Ability to quickly change the detector settings during the search without entering the menu. A set of parameters relevant to the current program is displayed at the bottom of the display.
- Easy intuitive menu of the metal detector, divided into 6 groups
- Wireless exchange programs between multiple metal detectors
- Coil 10 “DD provides good working width and resistance to mineralization
- 20 levels of metal detector display backlighting
- Ability to enter the name of the owner and contact information with password protection
- Ability to manually select the level of filtering from 8 values from 5 to 12.5 Hz
- 200 signal processing speeds
- Convenient switching between different options for displaying information about the object using the trigger switch: SpectraGraph – Targeting – Analysis
- Convenient display of accepted and rejected targets in green and red
- Powered by rechargeable NiMh battery
Garrett AT PRO Metal Detector
Rated 4.5 out of 5 by 225 reviewers on Amazon.com
Among the metal detectors produced by Garrett Electronics, it is impossible not to single out the Garrett AT Pro as the best metal detector for coins and jewelry. No self-respecting search professional should do without it.
Model AT Pro is a professional coin detector, one glance at which it is impossible to doubt its performance. The strict laconic design conveys the whole essence of Garrett AT Pro, but the most important thing is its functions.
Among the surprising innovations is the water-resistance of this model, which allows you to work with AT Pro also underwater, at a depth of 3 meters, making it a real amphibian in the world of metal detectors.
This device is reliably protected from dust and dirt penetration, which makes it practically invulnerable in any adverse weather conditions and significantly expands the search capabilities of the treasure hunter.
The Garrett AT Pro is equipped with two soil adjustment modes—manual and automatic. Sound effects work in several modes including standard and professional Pro-Audio. Unlike the standard sound notification in most metal detectors, Pro-Audio notifies the searcher about the depth.
The Garrett AT Pro is a breakthrough in the metal detector industry.
- Additional professional sound modes that allow you to estimate the distance to the object, the depth and “see” nearby objectives (“Proportional Sound” and “Rocking Tone” modes)
- Fast reaction rate allows you to successfully highlight useful color targets against the background of high littering
- Iron Audio mode allows you to hear the iron targets and accurately build on them.
- High accuracy of iron detuning (40 levels)
- Suitable in any condition including dusty, dirty, and humid environments as well as underwater for 3 meters
- Digital target ID (0 … 99)
- Manual soil balancing option allows you to set up the detector to the ground with the highest quality
- FastTrack allows you to balance in semi-automatic mode quickly
- Working frequency of 15 kHz increases the sensitivity to small objects like coins and jewelry
- Exclusive 8.5 × 11″ type DD coil filters the mineralization of the soil and well shares the nearby targets.
- Targeting mode provides accurate localization of the object before digging.
Fisher F75 Metal Detector
Rated 4.1 out of 5 by 39 reviewers on Amazon.com
One of the best coin metal detector in the history of metal detectors, the Fisher F75 incorporates all modern Fisher technical solutions including a double filtering discriminator for searching in littered soil, automatic FASTGRAB soil balancing, 3 search modes (discrimination, dynamic All Metal and static All Metal) and the ability to select the optimal search style (standard, jewelry, filtering litter, plowed field).
This metal detector is distinguished by its high reaction rate to detected objects which supports a phenomenal separating ability.
Thanks to the battery compartment located under the armrest, it has good ergonomics, which makes the F75 an indispensable professional tool.
- Double filter discriminator to search in littered soil
- 2-digit target type identifier: the display shows the VDI number of the object from 0 to 99. Additionally, a measurement confidence indicator is displayed
- 8 discrimination groups 0–99 to exclude unwanted objects from the search such as ferrous metals
- 3 search modes – discrimination, dynamic All Metal and static All Metal (search at maximum depth without discrimination)
- Optimal search style selection (standard, jewelry, filtering litter, plowed field)
- Numbered tones – 1 to 4 or incremental
- Soil balancing – automatic FASTGRAB and manual
- Indicator of the level of soil mineralization, phase, and current balance setting
- Targeting mode with variable pitch
- Adjustable sensitivity and threshold
- Shifting operating frequency to avoid interference
- Display backlight
Minelab E-TRAC Metal Detector
The E-Trac metal detector is a new high-tech development from Minelab that uses a unique multi-frequency search technology familiar to users of metal detectors using the Explorer series.
The E-Trac touts a modern design, an innovative control panel, an intuitive menu, a large and clear LCD screen, a new lightweight reel, and numerous tuning options.
The E-Trac is a new standard in the production of coin finders. For the first time in the world, Minelab engineers equipped a metal detector with a USB interface, with which E-Trac users can download settings, operating modes, and discrimination masks from their personal computers.
The technologies applied in the E-Trac detector allow searches both in ordinary soil and in highly mineralized environments such as salt sand, seawater, wet beach sand, and soils with a high magnetic component.
Using the E-Trac metal detector, you will be the most successful treasure hunter, regularly combining forays into nature with metal detecting old coins, jewelry, etc.
- Advanced signal processing using FBS technology analyzes more target information, so that target identification is more accurate
- QuickMask™ with independent ferrous and conductivity rejection level adjustment – a fast and simple way to edit patterns
- Exchange USB functionality – create download and upload your favorite E-Trac settings and save them to your computer or with friends by email
- Ground Setting options of Neutral and Difficult allowing you to adapt easily to benign or the most challenging operating conditions
- User-centered keypad and menu design – fast and easy to use with intuitive icons and logical menu sequences
White’s Coinmaster Metal Detector
Rated 4.1 out of 5 by 43 reviewers on Amazon.com
Whites CoinMaster metal detector is the middle of the line model from the company, replacing the well-proven detector Prizm III. CoinMaster is suitable for those who want to buy a universal device with reliable quality for a low price.
It is perfect as the first device for new searchers. Whites CoinMaster metal detectors are perfect for searching both in antiquity and in small objects, as well as in metal detecting gold coins.
Due to its accurate signals and depth of search, this coin detector will please both beginners and already more experienced searchers. Whites CoinMaster can screen out ferrous metals and more accurately indicate the color of metals than most of its competitors.
At first glance, a simple device is quite capable of competing with detectors of both the middle and professional classes.
- SENS – adjustment of sensitivity to objects made of metal and interference. The greater the sensitivity value, the deeper the object can be detected, but the influence of the soil and electromagnetic pulses also increases
- P / P – enables accurate positioning of the object. Discrimination in this mode does not work
- DISC – ignores unwanted targets and consistently disables the response from 5 object types at a time; in total, the display shows 8 types
Specifics of Metal Detecting for Coins?
There are several types of metal detectors that are not suitable for searching for coins, as well as metal detecting silver coins.
- Depths units feature the maximum depth of search, but have very small sensitivity to small objects. They are used to detect pipes or search for scrap metal and hoards.
- Devices for searching gold nuggets do not have the discrimination to accurately search for coins. In order to find gold coins, the device must have absolutely high sensitivity. This means that when using this machine to search for coins, you will constantly dig small pieces of iron, shot, etc. It will be impossible to separate coins from all of this.
- Mine detectors have a lot of weight and minimum functions.
- Kids detectors are the cheapest and least effective devices for detecting gold coins.
The metal detector for coins must have sufficient discrimination to separate the targets. The wider the range of the discriminator, the more accurately you can create your own coin mask for the metal detector.
A coin mask is a search program of a metal detector.
The manufacturer’s presets for the metal detector’s coin mask does not often correspond to realistic parameters. For example, coins made in the USSR, do not get into the coin mask of the Garrett ACE 250 metal detector.
Some coins of the colonial era will be ignored in the Minelab Explorer coin mask. Therefore, the coin mask in the metal detector must be edited customized for your search needs.
Own mask is an editable metal detector program that you create yourself.
The Best Frequency for Coin Hunting
Coin seekers must consider all settings and programs for quality hunts.
Discrimination scale and sound polyphony
If you are going to look for coins, you should understand that, in addition to the valuable silver in the ground, there is a lot of iron trash that needs to be cut ignored. Devices with a scale of discrimination easily cope with this.
A certain number corresponds to each metal, iron being the smallest. Non-ferrous metals are located on the increase in electrical conductivity. The highest value corresponds to silver and copper.
Looking at the screen is not always convenient, especially in littered places, where the soil is replete with signals. Therefore, the instruments produce a separate sound for each metal. Chermet makes a dull sound, and positive goals ring out.
Modern devices differ from older models. They easily adapt to changing search conditions. Difficult soils create unnecessary squeals that distract, so the task of this function is to build up from the soil and stabilize the detector.
Detuning from electrical noise
Difficult soils aren’t the only factors to interfere with the search. Your mobile phone can also interfere with the stable operation of the equipment. If you are close to power lines, there may be failures.
To solve this problem, there is a function of detuning from electrical interference. In addition to these options, it is important that the metal detector weigh little and easily lay in your hand. Modern devices have height adjustment options to facilitate best positioning.
Where to look for coins?
After you’ve decided on your equipment, the next step is to determine where you’ll perform your excavations.
- Old villages and roads. With the help of old maps, found free on the internet, you can discover the places where people used to live in ancient times. Previously inhabited areas are prim search zones.
- Beaches. Here you can find modern money, and if the beach is old, then there is a chance to find something old. Keep in mind that you’ll find rubbish on the beach as well.
- Parks. Here you can find many interesting artifacts. Remember not to disturb the rest of the litter and bury holes before you leave.
Coin searches are a popular and common way to dive into the world of metal searching. With specialized technology and a variety of metal detector options, the potential is endless for those willing to put in the work. The Base Outdoor Team is here to help you get started. Contact us with questions.