Homemade Easy Squirrel Chili Recipe
The Best Squirrel Chili Recipe
Table of Contents
Introduction To Cooking Squirrel Chili Stew
Have you tried Squirrel Chili yet? – Why not?
Homemade crockpot squirrel chili is so simple and cheap to make. Squirrel Chili stew is full of nutritional benefits. Best of all Squirrel Chili tastes great!
I understand many people may view the squirrel as a pest not for eating. That however does not necessarily mean they do not taste great!
This homemade Chili Squirrel recipe is one the whole family loves. I mean who doesn’t love homemade chili?
So go on, grab some fresh squirrel and cook up a Spicy Squirrel Chili Stew today. (Say that three times really fast!)
Simple to make and delicious at any time.
By the way, this recipe works great with other light meats such as chicken, turkey and rabbit.
Easy to make and tastes delicious.
- 2 -3 whole squirrels ((skinned and cleaned))
- 2 large yellow onions
- 3 green chilis ((chopped. Add more chili for more spice))
- 1 cup celery ((chopped))
- 4 cloves garlic ((minced))
- 4 slices bacon ((cooked))
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 15 oz. can butter beans
- 15 oz. can red kidney beans ((or black beans))
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder ((Add more chili powder for more spice))
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 beef bullion cube
- 3 shakes pepper
- Place the squirrels in a pot of gently boiling water and add the beef bullion cubes. Cook on a simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. When done the squirrel meat comes easily off the bone.
- Chop the onions, chilis, celery and mince the garlic.
- When the squirrel meat is ready, take them from the water, place on a board and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Pull the meat from the bones and then finely shred or chop.
- Heat the Olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, chilis and celery. Cook, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped squirrel meat, garlic, and all the spices. Stir so everything is coated with spices.
- Place the squirrel chili into a crockpot. Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, butter beans and red (or black) beans.
- Put the crockpot on a low heat and let it cook for 3 – 4 hours. The longer it cooks the deeper the flavors will be. Stir occasionally. If you do not have a crockpot you can cook this on the stove in a heavy duty pot or dutch oven.
- You can add 1-2 cups of water or red wine during this cooking stage if required.
- Serve with some shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and some crackers. You can even serve with a side of fluffy white rice.
Final Thoughts On Our Easy Squirrel Chili
For our family we think squirrels are some great tasting meat. Homemade Squirrel Chili is one of our favorite chili stews to make. There are an abundance of wild squirrels in the woods.
They are easy to prepare and provide us all with some amazing nutritional benefits. You may like this infographic on the Nutritional Benefits Of Wild Game Meat.
Give it a try. Grab some fresh squirrel, your chili making ingredients and make some Squirrel Chili at home today.
And finally if you enjoy wild game meat cooking or are interested in learning more, here are three great wild game meat cookbooks we would not be without.
Walk Little…….. Look Lots