Are you looking for a new adventure? If you want to go out of your comfort zone on your next vacation, fishing is worth a try.
Fishing (e.g., kayak fishing) is one of the best ways to make the most of your vacation. You’ll be able to have fun, create great memories, and have a delicious meal after all the struggle. Also, it offers plenty of benefits you wouldn’t want to miss. Here are some:
- It’s a great activity to relieve stress.
- It helps improve your mental health and the sense of living in the moment.
- It helps strengthen your bond with family and friends.
- It supports the preservation and protection of marine biodiversity.
- It gets you moving and burns calories.
- It offers a chance to improve yourself by mastering new skills.
For a one-of-a-kind fishing experience, it’s important to know the best fishing spots. These include ponds, rivers, streams, lakes, and oceans. But among so many fishing spots to explore, where should you start? To answer that, here are some of the world’s best countries to go fishing. Read on to learn more.
What Are The Fishing Tools You Need?
Before your fishing trip, make sure you know all the tools and accessories you need.
Bait: Fishing bait is often live worms or minnows. If you’re uncomfortable with live ones, use soft plastic bait or anything that can attract unsuspecting fish.
Fishing Rod: Fishing rods are long, metal poles equipped with a line, line guides, reels, and handle used for catching fish.
Hook: Fishing hooks are sharp, pointed metal pieces used to catch fish by impaling the inside of the mouth or other external parts of the fish.
Lure: Fishing lures can be made from wood, plastic, or metal. They also come in different shapes and sizes to attract fish with movement and reflection.
Reel: Fishing reels are mechanical devices attached to the handle end of the fishing rod. It’s used to push and pull fishing lines.
Pliers: Fishing pliers are used to tightening or loosen anything stuck on the fishing hook. It’s also used to remove stuck fish without damaging their body parts.
If you don’t know where to get your hands on these, visit meltontackle.com or other suppliers to complete your fishing tools and accessories.
Where Are The Best Countries To Go Fishing?
Here are some of the best countries worth exploring if you want to go fishing:
Australia is a fisherman’s paradise. With over 4,000 species of fish (still counting) and 37,000 miles (60,000 kilometers) of coastline surrounded by warm, clear seas, this place is indeed a fishing heaven. Some marine species, such as black marlin, can be found in other parts of the world, but they tend to be bigger here.
Here are the popular species of fish to catch in Australia:
- Barramundi: This giant perch can be found in the Northern Territory and northern Queensland. They swim all year but swarm during March and April.
- Black Marlin: This huge fish can be found on the outskirts of the Great Barrier Edge and in Northern Queensland. Catch them between September and December.
- Mackerel: This sharp-toothed predator can be found in southern Queensland and Western Australia. They swim all year but swarm during dry and winter months.
- Tuna: This protein-packed fish can be found in the warm waters of Tasmania, Victoria, and South Australia. Tuna’s best months are March to May.
- Yellowtail Kingfish: This fish, known for its incredible stamina, can be found in New South Wales and Western Australia. Catch them in the months of February to April.
Other fish species you can catch in the Land Down Under are giant trevally, broadbill swordfish, permit, bonefish, snapper, golden trevally, and trout.
2. United States
Fishing is a beloved pastime of many Americans, and for good reasons. Fishing spots are anywhere with thousands of fish species available all year round. Countless fishing competitions are open for everyone, whether you’re a beginner or a pro angler.
So, where does one fish in the U.S.? Here are some of the best spots to explore:
- Martha’s Vineyard: One of America’s most popular fishing spots, Martha’s Vineyard is known for its striped bass, bonito, false albacore, and bluefish. The best time to visit the island is between August to early September.
- Ocracoke Island: This island in North Carolina is known for its surf fishing experience and fish varieties, such as bluefish, Spanish mackerel, flounder, croaker, pompano, and sea mullets. The best time to visit Ocracoke Island is spring and fall.
- Hatteras: This is a popular fishing destination in North Carolina. It’s known for yellowfin tuna, mahi-mahi, red drum fish, marlin, and mackerel. The best time to fish in Hatteras is between May and September.
- Kona: The 50th state is known for its majestic mountain views and tropical climate, making it ideal for fish varieties, including tuna, marlin, mahi-mahi, wahoo, and more. The best time to catch fish in Hawaii is between June to August.
- Betty Lake: This mountain lake in Colorado is famous for its beautiful landscape—thanks to trees and shrubs—and trout fishing. The best time to fish in Betty Lake is between June and July.
Other best fishing spots in America include Jerome Lake, AK; Montauk, NY; Lake Allen Henry, TX; Fontenelle Creek, WY; and Boulder Creek, CO.
3. United Kingdom
The land of kings and queens is blessed to have some of the world’s best fishing spots. Whether you’re a bream or carp angler, there are always magnificent fishing spots in the United Kingdom. Here are some you might like to explore:
- Horseshoe Lake, Gloucestershire: Popular for its horseshoe shape, Horseshoe Lake is one of the best fishing destinations for most anglers. It’s known for its carp, bream, pike, and perch, allowing you to enjoy a one-of-a-kind fishing experience.
- Anglers Paradise, Devon: Anglers Paradise is famous for its 30 magnificent lakes. It offers a peaceful fishing experience for everyone and boasts a wide variety of fish, including catfish, koi, trout, carp, and perch.
- Windermere, Cumbria: This is England’s largest natural lake and is home to a wide variety of fish, making it an ideal spot for fishing enthusiasts. Fish varieties you can find include eels, trout, pike, salmon, and perch.
The U.K. is perfect for fishing enthusiasts who wish to explore the breathtaking countryside and majestic mountain lakes. For a more comfortable fishing experience, wear a good pair of boots or any comfortable footwear your feet prefer.
It may be hard to believe, but a country like Canada can offer a lot to an angler—beginner or pro. Canada is an angler’s real-life paradise, from stunning mountain lakes to rolling streams and crystal-clear oceans.
Here are the best fishing destinations worth exploring in the Great White North:
- Ucluelet, British Columbia: This location is best known for its massive halibut and chinook salmon population. The best time to visit Ucluelet is between May and September.
- North Lake, Prince Edward Island: This fishing spot is famous for being the tuna capital of the world. Did you know that some tuna here can weigh 1000 pounds? If you want to see those, visit North Lake between July and October.
- Lake Winnipeg, Manitoba: Lake Winnipeg is the 11th largest lake in the world, perfect for fishing enthusiasts and nature lovers who want to take a break from the busy city life. Visit between June and July to catch plenty of walleye, carp, and largemouth bass.
- Mississauga, Ontario: Mississauga is famous for its wide fish varieties, including trout (brown and steelhead) and salmon (coho and chinook). But before you fish, obtain a fishing license first. Visit Mississauga from May to October for a bountiful catch.
Other fishing spots worth exploring in Canada include Great Bear Lake, Northern Territories (famous for trout), and Miramichi River, New Brunswick (famous for Atlantic Salmon).
Belize is becoming one of Central America’s must-visit fishing destinations. This small Caribbean gem offers a range of fishing opportunities for anglers of all kinds.
Did you know Belize is home to one of the world’s biggest coral reefs? Now, you can say that a fishing adventure in this small island nation could be one of the best.
Below are some of the most popular fishing spots in Belize:
- Ambergris Caye: This is one of Belize’s largest islands. It’s located in the Belize Barrier Reef and is well-known for tarpon and snook. Visit Ambergris Caye between December and April for a cooler fishing experience.
- Tarpon Caye: You guessed it right! Tarpon Cay is the best place to visit when catching tarpon of different sizes. Tarpon is all year round, but it’s best to visit from July to September to catch bigger and more aggressive ones.
- Turneffe Atoll: This location is arguably Belize’s best fly-fishing spot. Check out the mangroves and salt flats for a chance to catch monstrous tarpon and snapper at the same time. Visit Turneffe Atoll between May and June for a more abundant catch.
Other fishing spots worth exploring in Belize include Permit Alley, Punta Gorda, and The Drop (the outer edge of the Belize Barrier Reef).
Fishing is one of the best ways to enjoy your vacation and explore nature. Before you start fishing, ensure you have everything you need, from bait to fishing rods and reels.
To make the most of your fishing experience, visit Australia, the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, and Belize. These countries offer magnificent views and exhilarating fish varieties.
If you’re ready, pack up your things and book your tickets because you’ll be exploring the best in the world.