When you are out hunting in winter weather it is essential you have the best cold weather hunting gloves.
Excessive cold to your hands and fingers can have severe consequences. Firstly frostbite can occur within 30 mins of exposure suddenly no more trigger finger for you. Cold fingers go numb and that means less feeling on your trigger just as you are about to take that shot.
You can avoid this by simply investing a pair of quality cold weather shooting gloves. This review and the detailed comparison table will help you choose the best cold weather hunting gloves for you.
We consider a range of top-quality hunting gloves styles and materials so you are armed with the best information when making your choice.
Things To Consider When Choosing Winter Hunting Gloves
Too thin and the gloves will not work. Too thick and you will not be able to complete more sensitive tasks.
You need to choose the right balance here depending on the type of cold weather hunting you do, as well as your hand shape for comfort.
There is no one best hunting glove that suits every condition or every hand.
Cold Weather Hunting Gloves Materials
Leather hunting gloves whilst highly durable are not the best when you perspire. They do however offer great wind-proofing qualities.
If you are regularly skinning and butchering your harvest leather gloves will be difficult to maintain in the long term. You can regularly apply conditioner to these gloves as they will absorb blood and dirt more easily than other materials.
The downside of this is the extra scent your will be adding to your gloves on top of the natural scent leather gloves already have.
2. Fleece & Polar Fleece
Fleece is fine for coolish dry conditions, they are lightweight and often a cheaper option. They can also be cleaned in the washing machine easily.
The big drawback with fleece is that it is not waterproof and cold wet hands and fingers are a recipe for frostbite. They also have minimum wind-proofing qualities.
I do not recommend fleece as the best choice for your cold weather shooting gloves as there are better materials available to do the job properly.
Wool is a fantastic natural material however for full-on winter hunting gloves there are a few drawbacks. To keep woolen hunting gloves waterproof you need to treat them with something like Lanolin which adds unwanted scent to your winter gloves.
I have never been able to get my woolen gloves 100% waterproof. They can also be heavy when wet. They are however comfortable to wear, I recommend save these for around the campfire as they do have great fireproof properties.
4. Rubber / Neoprene
Very flexible and fully waterproof material offering great protection in the cold. Thicker neoprene or rubber gloves can, however, be challenging to wear when doing certain tasks like trying to reload your rifle quickly. They also are not breathable at all meaning any perspiration from your hands will stay trapped in the glove.
Winter Hunting Gloves Styles
There are many styles to choose from when selecting your shooting gloves for cold weather and it really comes down to the conditions you are likely to experience when out in the field.
Will it be raining, snowing, windy or dry?
Most likely a combination of all these conditions. As this article is about the best cold weather hunting gloves I am focusing on full fingered, waterproof and windproof gloves to provide full protection against the elements.
Please note these are high quality premium gloves, not cheap rip-offs. Protecting your fingers and hands from the elements is too important to take a chance on by purchasing second rate cold weather shooting gloves
Top Best Cold Weather Hunting Gloves
1. UA Scent Control Insulator 2.0 GORE-TEX®
- Material: GORE-TEX®
- Waterproof, windproof and breathable. Lightweight. Durable leather palm
- GORE TEX construction is 100% waterproof but remains incredibly breathable
- Under Armour Scent Control technology traps & suppresses odors so you're less detectable & more lethal
- Added insulation is lightweight, water resistant, breathable & ultra warm
- Extra soft Speedwipe fleece placed on back of thumb
- Durable leather palm with silicone print for extra grip
2. Sitka Gloves Delta Deek
- Material: GORE-TEX®
- Expensive but provides ultimate protection in cold weather. Waterproof, removable liner windproof and breathable.
- Full protection for late-season ice-breaking decoy placement: 100% waterproof GORE-TEX taped outer shell; removable compression-resistant fleece liner
- Designed for engagement distances of 10 to 40 yards in the darker environments of flooded timber (OPTIFADE TIMBER) or layout and blind hunting in the marsh, standing crops, and cut stubble fields (OPTIFADE MARSH)
- GORE-TEX Technology: Gloves made with GORE-TEX fabrics are durably waterproof, lightweight, and extremely breathable
- Remove the liner for lighter duty blind sits with fleece protected hands and an enhanced grip to help you place the bead on the final approach
- Waterproof durable waterfowl gloves, which protect against the wind and elements
3. Cabela’s Men’s MT050® Whitetail Extreme® II Shooting Gloves with GORE-TEX® and Thinsulate™
- Material: GORE-TEX® Thinsulate™
- Waterproof, windproof and breathable. Specialized trigger finger.
4. Scentlok Savanna Lightweight Shooter Gloves
- Material: Moisture Wiking Fabric. Carbon Alloy ®
- A great early winter season glove. Lightweight fabric and Carbon Alloy® to absorb odors. Will keep you dry and has great palm grip.
- SCENT-ABSORBING LIGHTWEIGHT HUNTING GLOVES: Don't go out uncovered when the season starts. No other area on the body spreads odors in your hunting area easier than your hands. The ScentLok Savanna Gloves are premier warm weather hunting gloves ideal for a long day outdoors. These gloves for men or women are perfect for warm early-season days, keeping your scent from escaping, which makes them a must-have when it's time to head out on a hunt.
- DURABLE & COMFORTABLE: Made with a smooth, durable, premium polyester interlock fabric, these gloves are deadly quiet and have premier scent-blocking abilities. The silicone printed palms help with your grip when it's time to take your shot. Wear these gloves to complete your hunting suit system and get that advantage you need while out in the field.
- ADAPTABLE FOR YOUR ENVIRONMENT: Our hunting clothes and accessories are durable in the outdoors but comfortable enough for the long chase. These warm-weather gloves use a moisture wicking treatment to wick sweat and keep you cool. They also feature stretch fit cuffs to keep these outdoor gloves securely on your hands when the hunting gets good.
- SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY: Cutting-edge technology and ease of use combine to create superior lightweight gloves ideal for the experienced hunter or those new to the sport. Each glove has a carbon-alloy layer of activated carbon, treated carbon, and zeolite to control and block scent before it scares away prey. We have also included touch tech fingertips for use with your smartphone and other touch screen devices.
- SCENTLOK HUNTING GEAR: ScentLok has used scientific principles to innovate tough outdoor gear with scent-controlling technology since 1992. We strive to be the leading worldwide designer, marketer, and distributor of performance, hunting, and casual odor-controlling apparel, equipment, and accessories. You can trust our gear to stay strong during any season or pursuit.
5. Badlands Men’s Convection Gloves
- Material: Polyester and Suede palms.
- Durable and warm, windproof, water resistant. Suede palms for better grip even in the wet.
- GET A GRIP - We've dropped enough gear to know that finger dexterity is nearly as important as warmth. That's why the Convection Glove features an Ax Suede palm. It's durable, grippy, and of course, makes it easier to pick stuff up.
- EXTREME PROTECTION - These insulated hunting gloves are warm, comfortable, and quiet. They're also 100% waterproof and windproof, with an extra long cuff to keep drafts out and to make getting them on easier. The Convection Glove performs best from 0 to 50 degrees.
- APPROACH FX CAMO - Groundbreaking concealment technology meets a darker color palette to render hunters virtually invisible. Designed for the Midwest or Eastern hunter, as well as late-season Western hunters, this dark woods Camo adapts to your surroundings AND the current lighting.
- UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME WARRANTY - Badlands' gear is built so tough that we can offer our legendary Unconditional Lifetime Warranty. As long as it says Badlands, it's covered.
6. Glacier Glove Alaska Pro™ Waterproof Insulated
- Material: Thinsulate™Layer Leather Palm.
- Waterproof and breathable. Very comfortable. Genuine Leather palm for added grip.
- High-performance materials
- Durable and comfortable design
- Unique construction
- Touch-screen friendly; Compatible with iPhones, Android, iPads, and other electronic devices
- Multi-functional use; Great for duck hunting, goose hunting, fishing, and more
7. Sitka Downpour GTX Glove
- Material: GORE-TEX®
- Superb waterproofing and fully breathable Layered GORE-TEX® construction with fantastic flexibility and grip
- MENS DOWNPOUR GTX GLOVES - Available in sizes medium, large, and x-large. (Available Color: Elevated II)
- WATERPROOF GORE-TEX LAMINATE - Innovative 3-layer laminate paired with durable water repellent finish keeps you dry inside and out while the lightly brushed knit face is silent and hydrophobic to combat moisture and prevent fabric from wetting out.
- FORM FITTING - The hood is cut for maximum visibility and fitted forearms reduce string contact while well-shaped elbows and shoulders maximize range of motion through the draw cycle.
- ARTICULATED PATTERNING - Articulated patterning keeps you comfortable in the seated position with extra length in the seat to shed water off your back
- SITKA Gear – We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality apparel that ensures you’re prepared to tackle any obstacle, in any element, under any condition. Check out our storefront to view our complete line up of industry leading products.
Unless you want to lose your trigger finger invest in good quality cold weather shooting gloves. Select gloves that are waterproof, windproof and breathable for the best outcome.
-TEX® and similar materials provide the best all-round solution.
Enjoy the season!
For more great hunting equipment reviews check out this page.