For the solo camper or folks who just plain don’t want to share their space, a good bivouac-style shelter is a way to go. Of course, when you choose to brave the elements on your own, you must be certain that your gear has your back. After all, there won’t be anybody to cuddle up to for warmth if things get chilly.
- Travel light with the Eureka! Solitaire AL three-season solo tent, the perfect choice for weight-conscious backpackers.
- The tent's simple two-pole tunnel design sets up in seconds after a long day of hiking or climbing.
- Outlast any storm with the rugged, durable 7000 Series aluminum frame.
- An integrated full-coverage fly can be rolled back for stargazing in clear weather.
- The fly and floor are made of 68D 185T polyester taffeta with a 1, 500-millimeter coating for weatherproof protection.
Fortunately for those outdoors people who like to adventure alone, the New York-based Eureka corporation has bent 120 years of experience with outdoor gear toward crafting a shelter that can keep a single trekker safe and comfortable. Be warned, however— this model does come with one major, and widely-reported, design flaw.
Eureka Solitaire – Camping and Backpacking Tent
When designing a bivy (slang for a single-person tent) one of the first concerns is usually portability. After all, this design appeals first and foremost to solo backpackers, who prefer to enjoy nature with a little hassle as possible—which means carrying the lightest possible gear. At a mere 2 pounds, 9 ounces this one will definitely not be a burden, meaning you can save more stamina for your explorations.
The body is certainly equipped to keep you safe and comfy. Nylon taffeta comprising the floor and full-coverage fly are made to shrug off rough weather, while the tunnel shape and generally slight profile help wind shear off before it can stress the structure to excess. The fly also comes fully attached but rolls back to reveal a ceiling of mesh, great for both ventilation and stargazing.
Though unusual in larger models, having a rain fly that stays hooked up to the body can mean much quicker deployment when bad weather is moving in fast and you don’t have anybody to help get it set.
Of course, the shelter as a whole is designed for quick and easy set up—again, that’s important when there are no extra sets of hands around—but be observant, as many are surprised to discover that their tent needs staking to provide proper structure, rather than being designed to be self-supporting.
Of course, some flaws are intrinsic to such a small shelter. What you gain in efficiency, you lose in luxury; a peak of 2 feet and 4 inches of overhead clearance might feel cramped to some, and getting in and out can require some wriggling. The interior also leaves little room for gear; even the vestibule is minimal.
This design also has few, if any, true “extras”—likely the solo adventurer wouldn’t want or need them, and they would only create extra weight—but some might want a model with a bit more to offer than two small storage pockets and a loop to hang a flashlight.
If you’re searching for a tent to camp with your family then Coleman’s Montana might be the thing you’re searching for!
Then again, providing safe shelter for those who are out in the wild should be a higher priority for Eureka than trying to pack in bells and whistles… which is why it’s a shame that the Solitaire is widely-known for a serious flaw in its construction, a problem centered around one of its most crucial elements, the support poles.
Many campers are immediately skeptical of fiberglass poles, like the ones that come with this model. Certainly, they’re light, which makes them a good fit for a product designed around the idea of minimizing size and weight, but unfortunately they can also be quite fragile. When aluminum poles bend, they can be bent back into shape.
When fiberglass breaks, It shatters and splinters, leaving you with a useless and unfixable pole.
Not the kind of situation you’d like to find yourself in if you’re braving the great outdoors without any company. What’s worse, cold weather—something a Solitaire is otherwise quite able to endure at least up to a point—worsens the fragility of fiberglass.
Worst of all, this model is susceptible to an outright manufacturing error, one that causes the body to strain against the poles, leading to widespread breakage.
Fortunately, solutions exist to address this issue—it’s not unheard of for campers to simply replace the fiberglass poles after (or even before) they break, usually with aluminum. A bit heavier, but aluminum is far less likely to leave you stranded with a useless, structure-less pile of fabric.
Eureka customer service also receives a great deal of praise for their handling of this issue. Should the worst happen, the poles can be inexpensively replaced. You may even be able to send yours in to get re-sewn, altering the structure enough to reduce that stress on the supports.
You should check out our other posts if you need other camping equipment. Slumberjack Latitude 20 Degree Mummy Bag is waiting for you to bring it on your next adventure!
Though adventuring off into the wilderness by your lonesome isn’t generally recommended for newcomers, the Solitaire makes for a solid entry-level shelter for adventurers who need to balance cost with other concerns. And, for the most part, this tent should offer the backpacker just about anything they may need on a solo hike: good protection, easy setup, and such minimal size/weight you may not even notice it’s there.
Check out these other one-person camping tents:
- 【Lightweight & Compact】 The backpacking tent only weighs 2KG(4.4lb) and the package size is quite compact, only 42 x12 x 12cm(16.5 x 4.7 x 4.7inches) thanks to the foldable fiberglass poles. Ideal dome tent for camping,backpacking, hiking, beaching
- 【Easy Setup & Fast Take Down】 Manually setting up this camping tent is easy and fun, and it only takes about 1 minute to assemble. Taking down is also simple and quickly
- 【Waterproof & Windproof】 210D waterproof PED fabric PU 3000, oxford bottom fabric PU 3000, waterproof tape on every seam, to ensure the inside dome tent is completely dry under any rain situation even in the storm. Strong fiber glass poles guarantee the stability and long service life of using. Pegs and guy lines make it stable in a windy day
- 【Roomy for One Person】Very roomy for 1 adult, could fit 1 more kid if needed. Fits well inside with a single person air mattress, or one sleeping bag individually. Extra storage space for accessories like backpack, footwear and other items
- 【Responsible & Prompt Customer Service】Any material or workmanship problem happens, please contact with us first for a satisfied solution
- Quick Auto Set Up - Enjoy ultimate convenience while setting up a tent with Ubon automatic opening tent. Take the pop up tent out of the carry bag, unstrap the tent, throw it into the sky, it will be opened automatically in seconds.
- Excellent Ventilation System - The pop up camping tent has two wide doors, allow air in and out the tent in seconds, and additional 2 side mesh windows keep bugs out and allow for adequate airflow on hot days. Ensure you stay in comfort.
- All-Round Protection - To ensure you have excellent camping experience, our portable tent made with 190T polyester fabric and sealed seam construction create an impenetrable barrier against rian and prevents leaks. All covered sliver coating in side the tent can reflect sunlight effectively.
- Room for Two Person - This instant camping tent can easily fit 2 adults, with 39.3 inch centre height and 88.5* 47 inch floor, you can put your sleeping bag in it without any hassle.
- Long-lasting Use - Ubon use high quality material to made our tent. This Instant camping tent use upgrade fiberglass poles with heavy-duty steel protection tube. Durable and abrasion 210D Oxford groundsheet, offer you a long lasting use camping tent.
- Polyester tent fly resists water and UV damage while adding one vestibule for extra storage space
- Fully equipped with #8 zippers, storage pockets, gear loft, stakes, guy ropes and one doorway
- The ALPS Mountaineering Lynx Tent is on our best sellers list; its a must-have for your next adventure
- Base Size: 2'8 x 7'6, Center Height: 36", Total Weight: 4 lbs. 4 oz., Minimum Weight: 3 lbs. 8 oz.
- International products have separate terms, are sold from abroad and may differ from local products, including fit, age ratings, and language of product, labeling or instructions.
- One-man tent in a compact, wind and storm-proof shape.
- Ventilation right and left, mosquito net in the entrance.
- Number of users:1. Dimensions:240 x 135 x 85 cm. Packed dimensions:53 x 15 x 12 cm. Weight:2,600 g.
- Storage space for equipment in vestibule.
- Zip entrance allows easy access.
- Ample space: Spacious Interior-Measures 6.88 x 4.92 feet with 3.93-foot center height. You can put everything you need during the journey, air bed, food, luggage, etc.
- Easy Set-Up&Portable: The camp tent is equipped with 2 ropes and 7 piles to ensure safety and stability. When installed, only one to two individuals about 2-3 minutes to complete. When stored, the carry bag weighs only 4.07 pounds and can be easily placed in the car.
- Windproof & Rainproof: The tent is made of a 1900M PU professional coating, and the bracket is made of 7.9mm glass fiber, which can better resist strong wind and heavy rain.A tent with a removable rain cover helps to ensure that water does not enter inside the waterproof tent for drying travel.
- Excellent design: The tent has a large window design, which brings good ventilation. The D-shaped window can have a wide field of vision, and it is also equipped with a power cord port design. You can easily connect the power cord and completely close the port when not in use.
- Promise: We guarantee that this is an excellent product and you will not lose any. If you have any questions, please contact us in time. The warranty for this product is valid for 1 year.
- 1 PERSON TENT: If trekking or backpacking personal in the backcountry, you will need a quality one person tent to keep you protected from the elements. Polyester rain fly&bathtub with PU 5000 coating is better in waterproof and firmer than you expected. Weatherproof material with factory-sealed seams keeps you dry and comfortable in all season&all weather conditions! You need an appropriate lightweight solo tent for backpacking!
- LIGHTWEIGHT: What factors should consider for the best 1 person tent? Weight and overall portability must be important factors to consider! This ultralight single person tent only weighs 4.2 lbs. Packed Size: 15''x5.1''x5.1'', easy to put in one's backpack. Tent's size 7'3'' x 2'8''x 3', spacious room for a good sleep
- QUICK SETUP&COMPACT: A solo tent should be very easy to erect and takedown. Free-standing and two Aluminum poles design for lightweight hiking tent's fast pitching. Easily setup by one person with no experience. This ultralight backpacking tent is compact and portable, also great for Hiking, Bikepacking, Kayaking, Mountaineering, Fishing or Car Camping
- EXTRAORDINARY DESIGN: Interior entire mesh walls designed to offer great ventilation, this ultralight hiking tent has D-shaped door and large vestibule on the side provide convenient enter&out and extra storage for your backpack or shoes
- WHAT YOU GET: 1 x carry bag,1 x inner tent,1 x flysheet,2 x Aluminum poles,4 x ropes,14 x Aluminum stakes,1 x pole emergency repair kit. Every product you purchased has a one year warranty in material and workmanship defects. We also offer a 100% risk-free satisfaction guarantee, if you are not satisfied with it we will be happy to refund