In 2011 the Kelty Salida was honored with the Backpacker Magazine Editor’s Choice Award, and even a few years later it’s still easy to see why. It’s hard to find a piece of gear that elegantly combines ease of use and solid build with a great price-point, but this one pulls it off admirably.
This Boulder-based business has a long history in manufacturing high-quality camping gear—its founder was a pioneer in developing aluminum-framed backpacks for civilian outdoor enthusiasts—and the Salida fully demonstrates that level of craftsmanship.
- Backpack-friendly compact folding poles, Gearloft loops, Color coded clip and fly attachment.Wall material: 68D Polyester, 40D No-See-Um Mesh,Floor material: 68D Nylon, 1800 mm
- Roll top cube carry bag, Easy set up, Free standing, Fabric/mesh tent walls
- Kelty hug clip, Easy entry D door, Internal storage pockets, Fully seam taped construction
- Seasons: 3, Number of doors: 1, Number of vestibules: 1, Number of poles: 2, Capacity: 2
- Floor area: 30.5 ft² / 2.83 m², Vestibule area: 10 ft² / .93 m².Wall material: 68D Polyester, 40D No-See-Um Mesh,Floor material: 68D Nylon, 1800 mm
Heavy polyester panels and rain fly, along with a nylon floor, make for great protection even in genuinely rough weather. That’s doubly impressive considering that the top half is entirely mesh. By combining the pleasure and ventilation provided by the open top with the weather-proofing you get with a fully-deployed heavy-duty rain fly, this model offers comfort in most any season you’d want to be outdoors in.
Even when the weather turns unexpectedly or unseasonably nasty, the high standard of construction helps ensure that you’ll stay warm and dry, though you shouldn’t expect it to stand up against weight of heavy snowfall. Widely renowned for its sturdiness, an important factor when the tiniest tear can let rain in and ruin a trip, you can expect your Salida to hang tough through many adventures.
Ease Of Use
Another aspect that can be appreciated by both beginners and veteran outdoors people is the almost unbelievably easy setup process. User comments all around the internet abound with similar stories—set up in just over a minute, set up in three minutes in the dark by the light of a lantern, and so on. Fully freestanding, based around two sturdy aluminum poles that attach to the shelter’s body with a series of clips that are so easy to attach you could practically do it with mittens on, this tent is a cinch even for less experienced campers.
The rain fly also attaches via quick, easy, color-coded buckles with adjustable straps, so if the weather turns suddenly you won’t need to worry about fumbling around with an elaborate process to get it attached.
Of course, Kelty isn’t perfect. For one thing, the low price point and emphasis on essential quality means some sacrifices in the realm of extras and features. For instance, interior storage is extremely limited, comprising gear pockets just large enough for a light or cell phone and a detachable overhead hammock that will cut somewhat into your available headroom.
The single door can be inconvenient when sharing space (imagine your fellow camper having to crawl over you on their way to a late-night bathroom excursion), and in general could be a snug fit for two, especially with gear included—despite being sold as a two-person model, many advocate it as ideal (if perhaps a bit heavy) for solo backpacking.
Additionally, while the tent’s build is top-notch, some of the peripheral items are somewhat more questionable. For instance, the plastic tighteners for the exterior guy out lines are superfluous and can actually fray the lines themselves.
Also, the spikes for grounding the tent (again, as a freestanding model, they’re not needed to erect the structure itself, only to help steady it against strong wind etc.) are made of aluminum rather than a tougher metal like steel, which can ding and even bend if driven into hard ground. Many owners have reported opting to replace the packaged spikes with higher-quality ones, which can make your purchase a bit pricier.
In short, the Kelty Salida may not have everything that you could want in a tent, but it offers just about everything you need, convenience that’s second to none, and a price point that should be attractive to just about anybody.
Take a look at great options from Amazon also:
- Spacious 6 person tent has enough room for 2 queen size air beds
- WeatherTec system with patented corner welds and inverted seams keeps you dry
- Durable frame and Poly guard fabric for reliable, long lasting use
- Measures 10 x 10 feet with 6 foot center height
- Easy setup in 10 minutes with carry bag included for transportation
- [High quality material]: Using 190T Polyester and 210D oxford cloth, provide great Sun protection, Windproof and water resistance ability. Choosing premium suppliers, insure reliable of strength and stitching technology .
- [Easy set up]: Classic door design and automatic opening system contribute to an extremely fast set up, just need few minutes, you can got a tent has enough space for 2 adult. Also convenient storage with carrying bag.
- [Excellent Ventilation]: Large front and rear mesh panels and mesh side wall vents provides great ventilation. When using the tent on a rainy day, please set the tarp on the top and bottom of the tent.
- [Target User]: Great choice for outdoor enthusiast. This tent adapt most situation. Camping, Hiking even use on beach. Portable and lightweight feature provide wide range of user. It is a good companion for your traveling.
- [Satisfactory Service] : If there is any problem, we will give you the most appropriate solution in the first time. We will bring you the best experience with meticulous service.
- ACTUALLY FITS FAMILY: Spacious dome shape family camping tent has roomy 6.9' x 6.9' internal space that fits up to 2 adults and 1 child, or perfect for inflatable mattress. With 47''of head room you can move around comfortably inside the camp tent.
- WATERPROOF & STABLE: Rest easy and stay protected under the 800MM PU-treated rain fly and the included stakes. A great outdoor camping tent keeps you and your gear comfortable and dry. A durable floor makes sure you are safe from above and below.
- GREAT VIEW & VENTILATION: Dual mesh windows and sky-view roof feature B4 grade mesh to help you experience the outdoors. Large D-shape door for easy entry to the outdoor dome tent. It is a great 3 person tent for camping
- BONUS FEATURES FOR 3 MAN TENT: Large internal pocket, Dome hook for a lantern. Quality 3 person tent waterproof is convenient for the best outdoor experience. Good choice camping tent 3 person.
- EASY & FAST: 5-Minute setup with 1-2 people. Lightweight to carry the 3 person tent anywhere. Small pack size- 24" x 5" x 5". Perfect 3 man tents for camping waterproof for backpacking, car camping, hiking, fishing , or backyard campouts.
- 【Weatherproof &High-Quality Material】 Made with 185T polyester. With the 1000mm polyurethane hydrostatic rated coating high-tech,The Cave is 100% waterproof; 4 Steel Leg Poles, Rectangular Roof: make the tent more firmly, stable and windproof.
- 【Roomy Interior】10ft x 9ft with 78in Center Height, fit 6 sleeping bags, Has enough room for 6 campers and even lets you stand up changing.
- 【Multiple Interior Storage Options】Electrical Access Port lets you run a cord from your device in the tent to an outside power source, gear loft, mesh storage pockets keep small necessities well organized.
- 【Visibility And Ventilation】2 roof vents plus low side vent create "chimney effect" ventilation, helping control condensation; zippered access allows campers to adjust the vents from inside the tent Bugproof mesh paneling and doors offer great views and ventilation.
- 【Easy Set-Up】 No particular skills needed, 2 people could set up the tent easily in 3 min. The camping tent comes with a smooth 2-way zipper and well-made poles. The carry bag is 24.6 x 8.26 x 8.26 inches, You could restore the tent in the carry bag easily.
- 👍 【Ultralight and compact】 Small pack size, space-saving stowage in a carrying bag, pack size 42 x 16 cm（16.5 x 6.3 in）, weight only 2.55 kg(5.62 lbs), easy to transport. Comes with 7001 series aluminum alloy stakes, reflective guy posts for wind resistance.
- 👍 【Spacious for 2 people】 Comfortable dome tent with space for up to 2 people - Additional storage space in the awning. Inner size is 225x130x113cm（7'3"x4'3"x44"）. Fits well with a twin-size air mattress or 1.5 sleeping bags individually.
- 👍 【Waterproof tents】 68D polyester tent fabric, welded floor for water-repellent and sun-protective; Fastening with 10 pegs and 4 guylines guarantee the stability and longevity for windproof people.
- 👍 【Easy to set up】 You can easily install it in 3 minutes and disassemble it in less than 2 minutes. A perfect trekking tent can be set up in just a few simple steps, perfect for camping trips.
- 👍 【Risk-free purchase】 Don't hesitate. Order now! We have a limited lifetime guarantee. For questions, please contact us. We will respond to your concerns within 24 hours.
- 【Easy Setup】Instant pop-up tent with pre-assembled poles sets up in seconds, simply open the bag and let go,So easy and enjoyable and set up the tent. No need to waste nice camping time to set up tents,Even if it rains suddenly, you don’t have to be flustered.
- 【Enjoy the Breeze】Mesh front & back doors provide enough air flow So that you can enjoy the breeze.closed with just the screen material, or sealed with the nylon door for total privacy,which is so convenient that you do not have to go outside to close the windows when raining.
- 【4 Person Pop Up Tent】Spacious Interior: 9.2 x 6.6 feet floor; The pop-up tent fits for 3-4 people in sleeping bag or 2-3 people with lots of camping gears; Center Height: 4.3 feet. INCLUDES 8 x Tent Pegs for keeping tent steady, 4 x 3mm Wind Ropes.
- 【Tent with Vestibule】Family camping tent waterproof and tearproof,made of 190T Polyester Fabric, groundsheet fabric is 110G PE Gray.You can leave muddy shoes and outer clothing in the vestibule and needn’t bring dirt into main tent.
- 【Enjoy the Leisure Tent】This pop up tents suitable for Casual camping, Backyard Resting, festivals, outdoor recreational activities, boy/ girl scout, backpacking ,and beach gatherings.torage pockets and lantern hook keep items neat and organized.